On 03/11/2014 06:10 PM, Brian Burkhalter wrote:
Sergey,

On Mar 11, 2014, at 1:18 AM, Sergey Kuksenko wrote:

Could you share your benchmarks?
Of course. Please see:

benchmark source:
http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~bpb/6375303/Bench6375303.java
benchmark results:
http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~bpb/6375303/6375303-bench.html

Let us know should you find anything amiss.

Do you have access to an ARM system (like Raspberry Pi ?) On Intel, volatile read is practically free - especially in micro benchmarks, when compared to normal read. The normal read can't be hoisted out of loops (the microbenchmark harness tries hard to prevent that)...

I can try this on my Raspberry Pi when I get home. ;-)

It would also be helpful if the JIT-ed assembly for the toString method could be dumped in various scenarios.

Regards, Peter

Thanks,

Brian