Am 27.03.2014 21:52, schrieb Eirik Lygre:
[...]
The JavaBean specification, with it's "void setSomething()" functions
are fundamental to so many things Java that they will never go away
(good thing, too!).The suggested language change builds on top of that,
is beneficial to a large body of existing code and does not invalidate
any existing practices.

It is, I think, a great example of bang for the buck -- low cost, high
return. No changes needed in the VM; everything can be done by the
compiler. Almost too sweet.

Hmm... isn't it a problem if I change "void setSomething()" to "MyClass setSomething()". In example, is that still a valid setter in terms of the JavaBean Spec? I might be wrong, but afaik there are bean based tools out there, not recognizing setters like that. At least I remember having such cases in the past. If I am right, then there is quite a chance of invalidating working code.

I should have paid more attention to the dragon book, so that I could
have taken a shot at the compiler myself :-/

I think you won't need it for that kind of change. You don't change the grammar, or any first level rules. You would change the internal AST, or even the bytecode generation part for this. You need to know javac internals instead... bad enough imho

bye blackdrag

--
Jochen "blackdrag" Theodorou - Groovy Project Tech Lead
german groovy discussion newsgroup: de.comp.lang.misc