Am 01.04.2014 11:28, schrieb Bruce Chapman:
Slightly preceding Ulf's coin proposal by a few hours was

http://mail.openjdk.java.net/pipermail/coin-dev/2009-March/001134.html

Where I suggested the "naked dot" notation (coined in http://mail.openjdk.java.net/pipermail/coin-dev/2009-March/000855.html) has better value as ".. a
syntax for referring to the receiver of a method inside arguments to the
method."

More formally, the naked dot (at the start of an expression, not following an invocation to a void method) would refer to the receiver of the innermost surrounding invocation expression.

and so to answer Guy's question below in terms of my original intention rather than Ulf's proposal, .indexof("Q") would use myVeryLongNamedString as its receiver.

+1
My proposal was meant exactly as that. Maybe my wording was not clear enough in
that.

-Ulf