On 06/20/2014 11:10 AM, Peter Levart wrote:
Perhaps a more lazy initialization of NetworkInterface class that does not trigger initialization of NS providers could help. We just need to invoke two methods on NetworkInterface:

- static NetworkInterface.getNetworkInterfaces()
- instance NetworkInterface.getHardwareAddress()

both of which could provide the result without the need of NS providers, I think.

This would solve the most general case of using TLR. The case that doesn't involve SecureRandom's help which I think is rarely needed and not default.

Regards, Peter

Hi,

A patch that solves this is a patch to InetAddress. We can't suppress initialization of InetAddress as part of NetworkInterface initialization, but we can suppress initialization of NameService providers as part of InetAddress initialization by moving them into a nested class called NameServices:

http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~plevart/jdk9-dev/InetAddress.NameServices/webrev.01/

This should solve Martin's issue, but the patch to TLR initialization could be applied nevertheless, since it might help overcome possible issues when using SecureRandom for TLR's seed.

Regards, Peter