Peter: Thanks very much for attacking the shocking impact/complexity
of getting a few seed bits.

On 06/25/2014 01:41 PM, Peter Levart wrote:

Peeking around in the sun.security.provider package, I found there already is a
minimal internal infrastructure for obtaining random seed. It's encapsulated in
package-private abstract class sun.security.provider.SeedGenerator with 4
implementations. It turns out that, besides Java-only fall-back implementation
called ThreadedSeedGenerator and generic URLSeedGenerator, there are also two
implementations of NativeSeedGenerator (one for UNIX-es which is just an
extension of URLSeedGenerator and the other for Windows which uses MS
CryptoAPI). I made a few tweaks that allow this sub-infrastructure to be used
directly in ThreadLocalRandom and SplittableRandom:

http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~plevart/jdk9-dev/TLR_SR_SeedGenerator/webrev.01/

This seems to be the best idea yet, assuming that people are OK
with the changes to sun.security.provider.SeedGenerator and
NativeSeedGenerator.java

-Doug