So it's not that the optimization fails but there is no optimization on them
yet.

I do see the .append("x") case will be easy to deal with, but it looks like
historically javac has not been a place to do many optimizations. It mostly
converts the java source to byte codes in a 1-to-1 mapping and let VM do
whatever it wants (to optimize). When you talked about compiling multiple
concatenation into using a single StringBuilder, it's more like choosing the
correct implementation rather than an optimization.

I don't expect to see big change on this in the near future, so shall we go on
with the current enhancement?

Thanks
Max