Hi Fabian;

This has been an excellent discussion and thank you for starting it! Even if
there is disagreement on various aspects I don't believe that anyone is upset
or angry.

Mike

On Aug 30 2014, at 10:04 , Fabian Lange <lange.fab...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello dear list,
>
> it was not my intention to steal precious developer time by annoying
> you guys with my finding.
> I really wanted to understand why there is a source difference. So I
> went ahead and looked at it from the only aspect I could estimate
> contributing to it.
> I am well aware of the fact that JIT does an amazing job optimizing
> code, so it surprises me how in some replies there is an negative
> undertone and randomness attributed to JIT.
> Right now I assume that my question upset some people, because it is
> of course not nice that people question code which was written over a
> decade ago.
> If not discussing the question on a technical level, I do not know why
> the argument of time wasting on micro level is made in multiple page
> long e-mails, which for sure also took precious time to write.

Having the right perspective is important to know how to handle specific
situations. I believe the longer emails are mostly discussion of the general
case and considerations involved in deciding what to do in a situation such as
this. If they provide future guidance then they have done their job.

> So thanks to everybody who taught me a bit about inner workings of JIT,
> and special thanks to Martin who did have the courage to submit a bug
> and webrev!

Indeed! He even found a few more cases to adjust.

Mike