On 27.01.2015 07:37, Mandy Chung wrote:
> System.runFinalizationOnExit has been deprecated since 1998 (JDK 1.2)
> and this method is inherently unsafe.  I am thinking to propose this method
> in JDK 9 to throw UnsupportedOperationException.
>
> I believe it's rare for existing applications using
> System.runFinalizationOnExit.
> My analysis on Maven Central ~315K artifacts that show about ~15 unique
> artifacts calling System.runFinalizationOnExit while they all come from
> only 5 classes.

I think while the use case for runFinalizationOnExit(true) is weird to
begin with, there seems to be a valid reason to enforce the finalizers
to run at the end, e.g. to properly free the *critical* underlying
resources. At this point rFOE(true) trick is, while unsafe, still
operational, right? If we are to remove rFOE(true) escape hatch, what do
we propose users to do?

Thanks,
-Aleksey.