On 1/27/2015 1:49 AM, Aleksey Shipilev wrote:
On 27.01.2015 07:37, Mandy Chung wrote:
System.runFinalizationOnExit has been deprecated since 1998 (JDK 1.2)
and this method is inherently unsafe.  I am thinking to propose this method
in JDK 9 to throw UnsupportedOperationException.

I believe it's rare for existing applications using
System.runFinalizationOnExit.
My analysis on Maven Central ~315K artifacts that show about ~15 unique
artifacts calling System.runFinalizationOnExit while they all come from
only 5 classes.
I think while the use case for runFinalizationOnExit(true) is weird to
begin with, there seems to be a valid reason to enforce the finalizers
to run at the end, e.g. to properly free the *critical* underlying
resources. At this point rFOE(true) trick is, while unsafe, still
operational, right? If we are to remove rFOE(true) escape hatch, what do
we propose users to do?

The strong references would have to convert to use WeakReference together with System.runFinalization() or System.gc() - GcFinalization-like mechanism as Martin suggests.

Mandy