On Feb 3, 2015, at 4:47 PM, Stephen Colebourne <scolebou...@joda.org> wrote:
> Can't say I've used isPresent() much, as map()/flatMap()/orElse() take
> care of most use cases.

Yes, i suspect terminal action-based processing is less used than value
transformation.

> What is an issue is that the primitive optional classes do not have
> ofNullable(), filter(), map() or flatMap().

I dunno about the first, that would seem a little odd to me.

Note the concept of ifPresent is already on all Optional variants. Same applies
to the difficulties encountered with flatMap.

> It seems odd to be adding
> an additional new method to the primitive optional classes without
> rounding out the missing methods to reach feature parity. I've heard
> people complaining about the missing methods on more than one
> occasion....

I recall the discussions around Optional consumed quite a bit of design
discussion budget :-) so we tried to keep things to a minimum set.

Do you wanna log an issue for those missing methods?

Paul.