On 02/26/2015 05:34 PM, Mandy Chung wrote:
The problem is with the default method AnnotatedElement::getDeclaredAnnotationsByType. If someone has an external implementation of AnnotatedElement (and one of the lessons from adding these methods in 8 was that there are other implementations) then if that external implementation haven’t added getDeclaredAnnotationsByType they will call into our AnnotationSupport. This is all fine if that external representation of AnnotatedElement uses our representation of Annotations, with Proxies and all. But I suspect that the conditions that would end up taking the non-proxy code path in the patch, will already fail in the check:

AnnotationType annoType = AnnotationType.getInstance(containerClass);
              if (annoType == null)
                  throw invalidContainerException(container, null);

So what is the best thing to do here if the annotation is not Proxy based and is coming from an implementation of the AnnotatedElement interface that we don’t control and that is missing the methods added in 8?

I did a quick search on my corpus and find only one reference to
sun.reflect.annotation.AnnotationType. Looks like external implementation doesn't get pass this.

Now I'm missing something. Why would a custom non-Proxy based annotation not pass the above code? I don't see anything in AnnotationType implementation that would be dependent on annotation implementation to be a Proxy. AnnotationType only deals with the annotation type, which is an interface, not with implementation.

The m.setAccessible(true) for the methods is needed to access methods of non-public annotations, right? This call could be moved to AnnotationType constructor as there it will be performed only once per Method object.

Regards, Peter