On 03/09/2015 12:32 AM, David Holmes wrote:
On 9/03/2015 9:21 AM, Remi Forax wrote:

On 03/09/2015 12:11 AM, David Holmes wrote:
On 7/03/2015 4:50 AM, Andrew Haley wrote:
I've tried to so everything I've been asked.  If this version passes
muster with everyone I'll Javadoc all the public methods and fields
and put it up for RFA next week.

I guess it's going to need a lot of testing and security analysis.

I added versions of all {put,get} methods with the boolean bigEndian
argument.  This makes HeapByteBuffer much cleaner, and it does not
need to know the machine endianness at all.  I hope that's OK.

Andrew.

http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~aph/unaligned.hotspot.4/
http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~aph/unaligned.jdk.4/

I think it is cleaner and more efficient if Unsafe maintains BE as an
instance variable (initialized at construction) and that isBigEndian()
simply returns that. The native check should only need to be called
once in the lifetime of the VM.

David

BE doesn't need to be an instance, method of Unsafe are instance methods
just to enforce security,
you can not call them if you don"t have an instance of Unsafe (and
getUnsafe() does the security check).

BE is private so it doesn't have to be an instance field it can be
static field.

Yes it could but why should it be? You have a singleton instance with all instance methods, so cached state should be in an instance field not a static one.

because the instance of Unsafe is a kind of security token (you get the instance once you have pass the security check) and starting to add instance field to it will obscure its meaning.

And I agree with you that the native isBigEndian() should be called once
in the lifetime of the VM.

so the idea is to write:

public boolean isBigEndian() {
   return BE;
}
private static final boolean BE = isBigEndian0();

private static native boolean isBigEndian0();

Other than the static parts that is what I was suggesting :)

Cheers,
David

cheers,
RĂ©mi