On 16/03/2015 8:39 PM, Andrew Haley wrote:
On 03/16/2015 10:30 AM, Paul Sandoz wrote:

On Mar 16, 2015, at 11:03 AM, Paul Sandoz <paul.san...@oracle.com> wrote:

I am running this patch though our JPRT test system right now.

I am getting a build error on spark:

   "... /hotspot/src/share/vm/prims/unsafe.cpp", line 335: Error: #error
VM_LITTLE_ENDIAN or VM_BIG_ENDIAN must be defined.

The assumption seems to be that if VM_LITTLE_ENDIAN is not defined then the
platform is implicitly VM_BIG_ENDIAN.

I think that we've exposed something that we should fix now.  As
John Rose put it,

     Culture of clean: Leave it nicer than you found it
       – Budget for technical debt, expect and welcome debt removal

VM_LITTLE_ENDIAN or VM_BIG_ENDIAN should be defined on all platforms.

VM_BIG_ENDIAN does not exist in the sources. The only place it exists is in:

./bsd/makefiles/ppc.make:CFLAGS += -DVM_BIG_ENDIAN
./linux/makefiles/ppc.make:CFLAGS += -DVM_BIG_ENDIAN

The expectation is that if VM_LITTLE_ENDIAN is not defined then you are big endian. Given the two options are mutually-exclusive a single flag, defined or not, covers it.

David

Andrew.