I updated the webrev to remove the Windows 3.1 case and
will wait 24hrs to see if there are more comments.

Thanks for the review, Roger

On 6/17/2015 9:58 AM, Alan Bateman wrote:
On 17/06/2015 14:49, Roger Riggs wrote:
Hi Alan,

Would there be any concerns about backporting to JDK 8?
I don't think so but it will require the jdk8u maintainers to approve.

The new helper APIs <https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/ms724451%28v=vs.85%29.aspx> only verify that the OS is at least the version requested.
It does not reveal what version the OS is actually running on.
Adding a manifest attribute just declares the minimum version required
and is reported by GetVersionEx.
In the current case, the code uses GetVersionEx as a fallback in
case the version on kernel32.dll is not available.
That fallback could be removed since kernel32.dll must exist on all supported versions.
Okay, I thought the helper APIs had better support than this. Maybe the Microsoft folks that are contributing to OpenJDK might have suggestions. In general I don't have any objections to the approach, just thought it was a big odd that the OS forces us to look at the version of kernel32.dll.

:

Also, is there any update needed in src/windows/resource/java.manifest?
If using the version of kernel32.dll then the manifest version does not affect the value of os.name.
But yes, I added the Windows 10 supportedOS uid.
I don't think this was in the first webrev that I saw but I see it is there now, looks fine.

In passing, GetNativeSystemInfo has been in Windows since Windows XP so I don't think we need to use GetModuleHandle to get the address now.
ok.

Similarly, can the case for Windows 3.1 be removed? (its not in theJDK 8 supported matrix <http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javase/certconfig-2095354.html>)
caseVER_PLATFORM_WIN32s:
I think that would be a fine cleanup.