Hi Doug,

On 9/11/2015 9:31 AM, Doug Lea wrote:
On 11/06/2015 02:23 AM, David Holmes wrote:

Before I look at the code, what is the status of the "Open Issues"
referenced in the JEP?

Also the JDK changes need to be reviewed on core-libs-dev and in
particular must
be seen by the jsr166 maintainers (ie Doug Lea and Martin Buchholz)

Martin and I and others are aware of this work.

As has been said by everyone initially looking at JEP 270, it is a
disappointing effort. It requires that APIs/methods supporting
try/finally-like constructions (especially locks) include new
annotations to substantially reduce the likelihood of failing to
perform the "finally" side actions to release resources (like a lock)
upon StackOverflowError.

Considering that no other readily implementable solution has
been proposed during the many years that this issue has been discussed,
a disappointing band-aid might not be so bad.

If I put on some extra-strength rose-coloured glasses I think I can almost read that as "something is better than nothing". ;-) As there are no practical general solutions to the problem (which surely says something fundamental about the language design!) an annotation-based point solution seems the only way to make some progress.

But note that it is not the finally part that need be at issue. If one considers ReentrantLock.lock() (in NonfairSync):

 210         final void lock() {
 211             if (compareAndSetState(0, 1))
 212                 setExclusiveOwnerThread(Thread.currentThread());
 213             else
 214                 acquire(1);
 215         }

if we throw after #211 the lock is half-locked: state says it is locked, but no owner set. So it can't be locked again, nor can it be unlocked. We would have to determine actual stack usage for each call path to know whether that is in fact possible

Assuming the hotspot mechanics are put into place, the main question
is when to use the  @ReservedStackAccess annotation.

The JEP singles out ReentrantLock. But there are also other locks
provided in JDK (StampedLock, ReentrantReadWriteLock), as well
as in other external packages, that should probably use this.
Plus there are other lock/resource APIs, for example Semaphore,
that are often used in try/finally constructions. And internal
before/after bookkeeping inside Executors. Plus, many cases of
try-with-resources constructions. Plus many transactional APIs.

And so on. It would be a never-ending effort to effectively use
@ReservedStackAccess.

Which, to me, is just another way of saying that the general problem is intractable. The annotation at least gives the mechanism for a point solution as has been said. The pain point that drove this was the use of ReentrantLock in ConcurrentHashMap, which in turn was used in class loading. That particular pain point has been addressed by not using the problematic class - something we surely do not want to promote as the way to deal with this problem!

I don't know of a good way to address this. One possibility is
for javac to automatically insert @ReservedStackAccess in any
method with a try-finally that involves at least one call?

I don't see how that would be at all viable as it brings back in the sizing problem - or greatly exacerbates the sizing problem. Plus as noted above the problem is not just with the finally part.

Perhaps we should simply start with j.u.c.locks as the initial candidate sets of classes and work out from there. The idiomatic Lock usage:

l.lock();
try {
 // ...
} finally {
  l.unlock();
}

epitomizes the critical-finally-block scenario (though the lock() problem is much more subtle). AQS is too low-level to flag any specific function I think; and the other synchronizers perhaps too high-level, with fewer idiomatic use-cases that obviously benefit from this.

In that regard I don't agree with where Fred has currently placed the annotation in ReentrantLock and AQS. The placements appear arbitrary at first glance - though no doubt they are the result of a deep and careful analysis. But it is far from obvious why the annotation is placed on NonfairSync.lock but FairSync.tryAcquire(), for example.

I would be tempted to place them on all the public lock/unlock methods of the Lock implementations, rather than on the internal AQS-derived functions, and AQS itself.

Cheers,
David

-Doug