Doug,

I have been thinking about this more from the perspective of the original
problem
we set out to solve, which was identified in the concurrent hash map usage, at
the
time in the class loading logic. While the class loading logic has changed, I
think we
have enough experience with this particular example and have studied
the code constructs sufficiently that there is value in checking in the small
set of
JDK changes that target that situation. I also think this gives a sample of
the kind of model in which this approach can be effective. In addition, having
this small set of
changes provides the ability to test and ensure that the hotspot changes
continue to
work.

So I would like to recommend that we go ahead and check in the hotspot changes
and the initial minimal set of j.u.c. updates as a way to put the new mechanism
in place so that the people with more domain expertise in the
java.util.concurrent
libraries can experiment with the mechanism and add incremental improvements.

thanks,
Karen