Hi Daniel,

Well I'm sure the authors of the unit tests wrote code that never leaks the
handlers they have created right? :)

If urgency or frequency of the reporting is required then capture the handler
in getHead as formatter state.  The write code to report the exception under
all possible states:
1. if exception present and getHead is called then report it to non null
Handler and clear (JDK-6351685).
2. if exception happens during format and we have a handler captured from
getHead then report otherwise store it.
3. if exception is present during getTail then report it to a non null Handler
and clear the exception and hander.

That means you'll have to add super.getHead and super.getTail calls in
XMLFormatter too.

I'm really leaning towards removing this try/catch
(https://blogs.oracle.com/darcy/entry/kinds_of_compatibility).  Handlers
already expect that Formatter.format->formattMessage will fail.  After all if
they didn't fail we wouldn't have specified ErrorManager.FORMAT_FAILURE.  Take
a look at StreamHandler.publish.  Or the handler implementation goes in the
opposite direction and makes the publish method exception hostile which is
already a violation of the spec.

It pains me to say it but, as long as you don't break the SLF4J bridge handler
then you have covered most of the JUL users.

Jason