Alexander,

I see your point.  It is also out of spec for Handler.setFormatter to actually
call Formatter.setErrorManager.  What if there are subclasses of formatter that
exist today with a setErrorManager method?  Also not all handlers have one
formatter or actually call super.setFormatter since you can't unseal the super
handler (GAE).

I still lean toward letting the exceptions fly since there is already an
expectation that formatters fail.  Is the concern that the handler will fail or
that the program will fail?

I've recently been tinkering with a custom filter that internally uses a
formatter and have prototyped adding get/setErrorManager method to it and it
just becomes a mess because to have start thinking about more corner cases and
adding more to the spec.

I really think that if you are going to add the 3 ErrorManager methods you
should only add them to the LogManager (JDK-6865510) as a way to unify failure
reporting in the LogManager itself and to deal with failures inside of error
manger.  As in to remove that ugly System.err code in Handler.reportError.  The
LogManager would work kind of like Thread.defaultUncaughtExceptionHandler and
the Handler.errorManager is kind of like the Thread.uncaughtException handler.

Then to fix this bug we could report it to via
LogManager.getLogManager().reportError.

Jason