Hi John,

thank you for your answer. As I said before, I do understand the
concept behind resolving lambda expressions at runtime to not
represent "real classes". I do however still disagree with your
assertion. On the opposite, I argue that the fact that nobody can
expect a certain form of implementation for a lambda expression makes
chaging this form a viable solution in the first place.

After the LambdaMetafactory is instrumented, I know that the returned
class site that produces a lambda creates a "plain old Java class" and
can be instrumented. I also know that I can redefine/retransform such
classes without breaking anything. The only glitch in this
substitution of the LambdaMetafactory is that I still need to use the
Unsafe API and that such classes might no longer be retransformable
after some VM update due to loading the class via
Unsafe::defineAnonymousClass.

Therefore, I suggest to make classes retransformable only if their
constant pool is not patched, i.e. the third argument is set to null.
This would suffice to allow for the described workarround that people
already use.

Finally, I want to stress that there is already a lot of code out
there that uses instrumentation. Until Java 8, any class of a Java
application could be transformed in a canonical manner. Having changed
this behavior is a breaking change to a certain degree since people
cannot longer update their applications without a change in behavior
when lambda expressions are involved. And I do not argue that
instrumenting lambdas is a good idea in the first place but existing
code bases already implement a lot of bad ideas that people need to
work with. Refactorings of existing code are always a consideration of
cost and the harder instrumenting lambdas gets, the uglier the hacks
will become and this is to nobody's benefit. This is why I hope that
you can somehow support this functionality after all.

Thank you for considering this!
Best regards, Rafael