On 17/03/2016 18:39, Uwe Schindler wrote:
Hi,

JDK-9 build 109 works, build 110 does not work. This is *not* about Jigsaw,
just the standard JDK build.
I have the feeling this is just a packaging bug. The META-INF/services file in
question contains a class that is missing in the jimage.

Just catching up on this thread.

The EA builds on java.net don't include a number of Oracle "specials". These specials integrate as service providers and until now, have required a sprinkle of fairy dust in the build to create the service configuration file with the complete list of PlatformMBeanProvider implementations. The issue is that the build is incorrectly appending a class name of an implementation that is not in the build. A non-issue for OpenJDK builds, a non-issue for the builds in Oracle as these service providers are present. Just an issue for the EA builds, sorry about that.

If the module system goes into JDK 9 next week for jdk-9+111 then it should address this issue. The reason is that the service configuration files go away, as has the make file recipes to combine things at build time. If something bad happens and we can't integrate next week then we can trivially fix the build that is causing the problem.

Just to add Mandy's comment about com.sun.management being a supported API. Yes, it is JDK-specific supported (and documented [1]) API. It is exported by the jdk.management module when we move to modules (next week I hope).

-Alan

[1] http://docs.oracle.com/javase/8/docs/jre/api/management/extension/