On 8/21/17 9:46 AM, Martin Buchholz wrote:

On Mon, Aug 21, 2017 at 9:38 AM, Jonathan Gibbons <jonathan.gibb...@oracle.com <mailto:jonathan.gibb...@oracle.com>> wrote:

    On 8/20/17 4:11 PM, Martin Buchholz wrote:
    Again, I am happy to take the current state of this change.

    On Sat, Aug 19, 2017 at 2:19 PM, Jonathan Gibbons
    <jonathan.gibb...@oracle.com
    <mailto:jonathan.gibb...@oracle.com>> wrote:

        Actually, thead and tbody have no direct significance for
        accessibility. They provide a semantic differentiation of the
        content, and provide a hook for different styling, as you
        have seen for "striped". Also note, although you can have
        many <tbody>, you can only have at most one <thead>, and at
        most one <tfoot>.

    Looking at Summary of BlockingDeque methods again, we have what
    might logically be a thead in the middle of a table, and the law
    of "only one thead, and only at the beginning" might be yet
another hint that the html gods want us to split this table. This could become a nested table with two rows, one for "first"
    and one for "last", each of which contains a subtable with a thead.

    I can investigate that.

    I would ask, why is this materially different from a new left-most
    column in a single table, but I guess one response would be that
    the subtables could be striped, which would give visual
    consistency with similar tables.

Right - the new theads could get that fashionable #DDD background like the other tables.

Yes, that's better than encoding colors in the doc comments, in case we want to do style changes in the stylesheet.

-- Jon