On 08/23/2017 03:12 PM, Martin Buchholz wrote:

On Wed, Aug 23, 2017 at 3:04 PM, Jonathan Gibbons <jonathan.gibb...@oracle.com <mailto:jonathan.gibb...@oracle.com>> wrote:

    Although it is not immediately clear in the webrev, the underlying
    characteristic of all places where I had to add an empty arg list
    is that there was a private field of the same name in scope.

I took a closer look at ArrayDeque. I see no field named "add", but I do see

     static final int add(int i, int distance, int modulus) {

which should probably be renamed anyways, (although overloading on arity ought to be safe! )

So add() would still have been ambiguous, since there are two methods matching?

Yes, the error in question was reported as:

docs/api/java/util/ArrayDeque.html:715: id not found: add-int-int-int-

indicating that "{@link #add}" had matched the method you noted. Although the method exists, it was not documented because it is not a public or protected method: hence the broken link. If we had run javadoc with -package option, that link would have been OK, although there would likely have been a gazillion other errors!

-- Jon