On 31/10/2017 1:02 AM, David Lloyd wrote:
On Mon, Oct 30, 2017 at 9:43 AM, Roger Riggs <roger.ri...@oracle.com> wrote:
ThreadPoolExecutor has a responsibility to cleanup any native resources it
has allocated (threads) and it should be free to use whatever mechanism is
appropriate.

I wonder though whether TPE.finalize() is ever actually hit in
practice: TPE is (by definition) a thread pool, and every live thread
in that pool has (by way of TPE.Worker) a strong reference to the TPE
itself via an outer class reference which is passed around in enough
places to make me think that it would never actually be collectable in
a real-world situation, unless all core threads were allowed to time
out.

The docs for TPE cover this in detail: [1]

Finalization
A pool that is no longer referenced in a program AND has no remaining threads will be shutdown automatically. If you would like to ensure that unreferenced pools are reclaimed even if users forget to call shutdown(), then you must arrange that unused threads eventually die, by setting appropriate keep-alive times, using a lower bound of zero core threads and/or setting allowCoreThreadTimeOut(boolean).

David
-----

[1] https://docs.oracle.com/javase/9/docs/api/java/util/concurrent/ThreadPoolExecutor.html