Hi Roger,

On 31/10/2017 11:58 PM, Roger Riggs wrote:
Hi Peter,

Only native resources that do not map to the heap allocation/gc cycle need any kind of cleanup.  I would work toward a model that encapsulates the reference to a native resource with a corresponding allocation/release mechanism as you've described here and in the
thread on zip.

For cleanup purposes, the independence of each resource may improve robustness by avoiding dependencies and opportunities for entanglements and bugs due to exceptions
and other failures.

In the case of TPE, the native resources are Threads, which keep running even if they are
unreferenced and are kept referenced via ThreadGroups.
I don't know the Executor code well enough to do more than speculate, but would suggest
that a cleaner (or similar) should be registered for each thread .

Threads are not native resources to be managed by Cleaners! A live Thread can never be cleaned. A dead thread has nothing to clean!

David
-----

For TPE, since Threads do not become unreferenced, the part of the spec related to finalize
being called by the finalizer thread is moot.

$.02, Roger