Thanks for the review. Editorial comments accepted. Discussion and responses to
some items below.

On 10/31/17 7:25 AM, Brian Goetz wrote:

Returns an <a href="#unmodifiable">unmodifiable Map</a> containing the entries
1664 * of the given Map. the given Map must not be null, and it must not contain any 1665 * null keys or values. If the given Map is subsequently modified, the returned
1666 * Map will not reflect such modifications.

I might quibble with "subsequently modified", as there is some ambiguity (what if the map is concurrently modified, subsequent to making the copyOf() call, but prior to the return from copyOf()?)  But I won't ;)

Well I actually did think about this, but I couldn't think of anything better to say. If concurrent modification is permitted, it's conceivable that a modification made any time during the copy might end up in the returned map. It depends on the source map's implementation and concurrent modification policy. So I think the only statement that can be made is about the state of the returned map after copyOf() returns. That's what "subsequent" means to me, but I could clarify this if you think it's worth it.

(Similar reasoning for List and Set.)

296 Collector<T, ?, List<T>> toUnmodifiableList() {
297 return new CollectorImpl<>((Supplier<List<T>>) ArrayList::new, List::add,
298 (left, right) -> { left.addAll(right); return left; },
299 list -> (List<T>)List.of(list.toArray()),
300 CH_NOID);
why the intermediate array, and not just use copyOf()?  (Is it because you added copyOf later and didn't go back and update this?)  Same for other collectors.
The copyOf method is mostly forced to make a defensive copy, so it's no better.

I think what should happen here eventually is that the elements should be collected into something like a SpinedBuffer, and then a private interface should be plumbed into the unmodifiable list implementation that can copy elements directly from the buffer. This avoids the extra copy. But I'll take care of that later.

For toUnmodifiableSet and toUnmodifiableMap, I can imagine similar private interfaces to avoid excess copies, but I think they each still need to build up full intermediate HashSet/HashMap in order to get rid of duplicates.

s'marks