On 9/22/17 5:36 AM, Roger Riggs wrote:
Hi Stuart,

I'm cautious about doing work piecemeal toward immutable collections.
The current unmodifiable approach only gives partial protection to the caller
and none to the callee. The assertions it makes are too weak to be useful.

I'm not entirely sure what you're driving at here. Looking at this again, I can see at least one place that should be strengthened. In List.copyOf, something like this should be added:

    Any modifications to the given Collection are not reflected in the
    returned List.

(And similar for Set.copyOf and Map.copyOf.)

Are there other assertions that should be added or strengthened?

I think more value can be achieved by creating concrete final immutable
collections
that applications can use to be certain that the semantics of the collection
are immutable. They can implement the current interfaces but would be compile
time
knowable of the complete semantics of mutability.  Then a good bridge between
the current streams (and collections) would be methods that return the concrete
final collections.

It would add some value to have concrete, "immutable" collection classes exposed. Presumably though these would implement the List/Set/Map interfaces. As instances get passed around, the "immutable" part would get "cast" away, limiting the value added.

There is a large design space here (see Guava and Eclipse Collections, among others that have this concept of "immutability). They're certainly interesting, but I haven't yet seen an approach that is clearly better than the current approach of keeping the implementation classes completely hidden.

BTW, I don't think many people are confused by 'immutable' collections appearing
to be mutated because one of the objects in the collection is mutable.

I'm sure *you* aren't confused by the issues. But I spend a lot of effort explaining these issues to the general public, so I think the change is worthwhile.

s'marks

Thanks, Roger