Hi Jason,

On 13/11/2017 15:14, Jason Mehrens wrote:
Hi Daniel,

Sorry for the late reply I was offline for the long weekend.

Hot reloads of the LogManager have always been a problem.  I think you are
running into https://bugs.openjdk.java.net/browse/JDK-8033661 in your testing
and that is going to give you troubling results on what is recreated after the
call.  Make sure you test updateConfiguration which is the replacement everyone
is to use going forward.

Yes - I know - I fixed that one ;-)

I think you'll want to make it so that "handlers" is just an alias name ".handlers".  That way
empty string is just name of the root logger which enables consistent use of other properties like ".level"
and ".filter".
If both are defined in the logging.properties, then install the union of the
two line.

That's precisely where I didn't want to go.

When I fixed JDK-8033661 I choose to use "handlers" for the root logger
instead of ".handlers" when implementing updateConfiguration() because
"handlers" is explicitly documented in LogManager API documentation
and conf/logging.properties.

So for the root logger the mapping function will only consider
"handlers" but not ".handlers". Trying to change that would
add too much complexity IMHO.

best regards,

-- daniel

Jason