Hi guys,

Here is my second take at solving the issue.
There's no change in the public API (no CSR, Yay!),
and it shouldn't require any changes on the Tomcat
side. However I haven't tested my changes with Tomcat
yet.

Mark - would you be able to help me with that?

http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~dfuchs/webrev_8195096/webrev.01/

best regards,

-- daniel

On 20/01/2018 13:17, Daniel Fuchs wrote:
Hi Mark,

Thanks for these links and for trying out a solution.

 > On 19/01/18 20:14, Mark Thomas wrote:
 > Thanks again for the hints. I have a work-around that seems to work:
 > https://svn.apache.org/viewvc?view=revision&revision=1821708

I see... so what I think is happening is that in JDK 8, the
handlers from ".handlers" where added to the root logger from
within addLogger(rootLogger) and because ClassLoaderLogManager
overrides LogManager::addLogger, then that part was skipped.

In JDK 9 - that behavior changed - the handlers from ".handlers"
were no longer added because the root logger was already present
in the context when addLogger got called (that was a regression),
but sinceĀ  ClassLoaderLogManager overrides LogManager::addLogger
anyway - it made no difference for ClassLoaderLogManager.

In JDK 10, to fix the issue, I forced a call that would
add the handlers from ".handlers" to the root logger, but
because this now happens outside of addLogger(rootLogger) (just after)
then ClassLoaderLogManager feels the difference.

hmmm... let me think on this a bit more.

best regards,

-- daniel