On 6/24/18, 12:11 PM, Alan Bateman wrote:
On 20/06/2018 04:32, Joe Wang wrote:
Thanks Alan. I created 8205058 to capture your suggestions. Please see below for more details.

Changed the internal APIs to throw CCE instead. In the same way as the previous changeset for 8201276, these methods are made specific for the use cases (though they are now for Files.read/writeString only) so that they are not mixed up with existing ones that may inadvertently affect other usages.

One thing to note is that MalformedInputException or UnmappableCharacterException will lose one piece of information in comparison to the existing IAE, that is where it happens (offset). Should there be an improvement in the future, we could consider add it back to this part of code.

webrevs: http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~joehw/jdk11/8205058/webrev/

I see your point on MalformedInputException and UnmappableCharacterException so maybe we can submit a new issue to track the follow-on work.

Submitted: https://bugs.openjdk.java.net/browse/JDK-8205613

The update means a lot of duplication in StringCoding. Did you consider (or measure) having the private encode/decode methods take a parameter to indicate the exception handling? Sherman might have suggestions on this.

I did. I didn't like the code duplication at all. But it would be even messier if we reuse the code since the previous usage didn't declare checked exception, but did capture the position (offset) and length information, which means the new method while unnecessary to capture these information for Files read/writeString would still need to save them in case Exception occurs. Because of the complication, I thought you and Sherman would again prefer a specific methods than adding parameters (need fields as well).

Furthermore, in the first round of the review, Sherman mentioned that he's been working on an improvement in this area. But I'll wait till Sherman could comment on this.

In the tests, shouldn't testMalformedRead and testMalformedWrite be updated so that expectedExceptions lists the specify exception that is expected? If I read the update correctly then isn't checking for MalformedInputException and UnmappableCharacterException anywhere (it passes if IOException is thrown).

MalformedInputException and UnmappableCharacterException are implementation details, the tests only verified what the spec required (IOE).

-Joe

-Alan