On 26/06/2018 05:50, Joe Wang wrote:
Hi Alan, Sherman,

Here's a version where we, as Sherman suggested, throw an IAE with CCE as the cause. This approach reduces code duplication in SC, although it complicates the impl a little bit with the added parameter and the different behavior between the existing usages of the methods and the new ones. The existing code paths are kept intact so there's no compatibility issue for the existing code.

This version also did not remove the try-catch in Files as Alan suggested earlier.

http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~joehw/jdk11/8205058/webrev02/
This version looks much better. In StringCoding, do you really need throwCCE? The encode/decode methods do a replace or throw so I assume one flag will do. If combined with Sherman suggestion then it would be minimal changes to StringCoding. It would be nice to get rid of the IAE completely but that is for another day. In Files then you don't need to check if cause is null before testing its type.

The update tests to check for UnmappedCharacterException and MalformedInputException look good.

-Alan