On 5/12/2018 8:54 pm, Alan Bateman wrote:
On 05/12/2018 10:44, David Holmes wrote:

so IMHO for this issue the "specification" should simply be:

Update the allowed values of the jdk.lang.Process.launchMechanism property on Linux to accept the value "posix_spawn", which will use the posix_spawn() API. The default value of "vfork" remains unchanged.

That is what CSR JDK-8214511 is about. I agree the wording could have been a lot simpler but there is nothing controversial.

I agree, but there seemed to be some concern over what the "specification" should be in this case and how the existing property was previously specified.

To Thomas's question as to why a CSR is needed then it is because it's extending a supported interface. This is different to many of the undocumented options which were added for JDK debugging or testing purposes.

As Joe already stated, because we are changing the set of allowed values for a system property, there has to be a CSR.

That said this particular property doesn't seem to actually be documented directly. No mention of it in the Process API that I can see. It seems a semi-secret means of influencing the implementation. So I can understand there can be some confusion here.

David

-Alan