On 12/12/2018 7:52 am, mark.reinh...@oracle.com wrote:
2018/12/11 7:03:57 -0800, adam.far...@uk.ibm.com:
I've spotted 12 instances of swear words in OpenJDK source comments, and
it seems appropriate to remove them.

(webrev: http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~afarley/8215217/webrev/)

I've created a webrev and attached to the bug.

Also, I've mentioned in the bug that there are additional swears in more
excusable locations. It would be good to get the community's take on
those.

It also would be good to discuss the instances that you’ve proposed
to change in your patch.

I can certainly see removing the f-word, and other words of a sexual
nature.  Those are clearly inappropriate.

Removing lesser words, and continuing to police their use henceforth,
strikes me as overkill.

What do other Committers think?

I completely agree. I was surprised to see the F-word but then somewhat relieved to see it came from external sources!

I'd also advocate, as a matter of technical style, not using emotive commentary in the code, and avoiding colloquialisms. That should avoid any future issues.

Cheers,
David
-----

- Mark