Hi,

I’ld like to confirm something, because I see suggestions to “build X as a
modular app” or “build as a modular jar” and I’m wondering if I’m missing
something.  These options don’t seem to be practical for most applications.

Does this not require ALL dependencies - down the entire dependency chain,
including every transitive dependency, to be 100% modular?

I don’t know of many applications outside of those included in the JDK (where
dependencies are not an option) that this restriction actually applies to.  In
fact since Java 11 there is a regression where applications that could be built
as modular with JDK 9 & 10 no longer can be, because the java.activation module
was removed and no modular replacement is available.  Many dependency chains
lead to java.activation.

Am I correct that this is the current state of things when trying to create a
Java module?  I feel I must be missing something because I’m not seeing the
expected complaints over the app-breaking regression of the removed modules no
longer being available as modules.  Is it just that nobody is making modular
apps yet?

Regards,

Scott