Hi Patrick,

First apologies that it took me so long to get my head around this. :) Let me summarise the problem as I see it.

The launcher specifies no particular semantics for -Xss0, to it 0 is just a very small size. However the VM maps -Xss to -XX:ThreadStackSize and for it 0 means "use the platform default stack size".

The launcher examines -Xss because it needs to use it to define the stacksize for the initial thread created to launch the VM.

The VM examines -Xss to see what stacksize to use for subsequently created threads and it treats 0 as 'use the platform default' and it otherwise checks the value against some hardcoded minimums and reports an error if it is too small.

The initial thread that loads the VM needs sufficient stack to be able to process things to the point where it can determine that the requested stacksize is too small and report the error. The value of the minimum stack is hardcoded into the launcher, as STACK_SIZE_MINIMUM (64KB). If the -Xss value is less than that then it gets set to that.

If no -Xss is specified then the launcher asks the VM for a reasonable value to use for the stacksize of the initial thread (typically 1MB).

The problem arises with -Xss0 because this causes the launcher to set an initial thread stacksize of STACK_SIZE_MINIMUM, but the VM sees this as "use the default" and so does not reject it and tries to continue with VM initialization. That can't succeed as we only have a tiny STACK_SIZE_MINIMUM stack and so we get StackOverflowError (or fail an assert in debug builds).

So the solution, as Patrick proposes, is to treat -Xss0 in the launcher as-if -Xss has not been set and so use the VM suggested default for the initial thread's stacksize.

So I agree with the functional change here, but have some alternate suggestions for additional commentary. Unfortunately I have to step away at the moment (its Friday night) so will send that later - sorry.

Thanks,
David