Hi Andrew,

Just a minor style thing in MapSyncFail test: can "true" and "false" (the mode) be "READ_WRITE_SYNC" and "READ_ONLY_SYNC" instead?

-Dmitry

On 8/19/19 2:29 PM, Andrew Dinn wrote:
Hi Alan,

I renamed the test to MapSyncFail and modified it to run without
restriction to a specific os or cpu.

I also generalized it to run twice with a boolean arg which selects mode
READ_ONLY_SYNC on the first run and READ_WRITE_SYNC on the second one.

The logic of the test is now to expect

  1) IOException if Unsafe.isWriteBackEnabled -> true
  2) UnsupportedOperationException if Unsafe.isWriteBackEnabled -> false

If the wrong exception or neither exception is thrown the test fails.

Case 1 currently only applies for x86_64.
Case 2 applies for all other architectures.

In passing, MappedByteBuffer load/isLoaded check the fd value before
isSync, can force() do the same? Also the @return on the private isSync
method is very wordy and I don't think needs to duplicate the method
description.
Sure, I have modified force() to do that check first.

Of course, that means that force(int, int) is going to repeat the same
test -- it has to because it may be called direct without going via force().

However, that's not really a problem since the compiler should elide the
repeated check.

I also shortened the text following the @return annotation as requested.

Updated webrev:

   http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~adinn/8224974/webrev.12

Testing:

Test PmemTest:
   passes as expected on x86_64 (only arch for which DAX file system is
available)
   fails to pass as expected on aarch64 and x86_32 (however, this case is
covered by the next test)

Test MapSyncFail:
   passes with expected exceptions on Linux for x86_64 (IOException),
aarch64 and x86_32 (UnsupportedOperationException).
   not tested on other arch/OS combinations (I have no access to the
necessary kit).

Red Hat MW tests:
   All still passing successfully

submit test:
   still in progress

Is it ok to push if the submit test comes back clean?

regards,

Andrew Dinn
Senior Principal Software Engineer
Red Hat UK Ltd