We are just beginning to work on user documentation, and --resource-dir is one area that will need extensive documentation and examples. (not to mention probably some bug fixes like JDK-8224833 <https://bugs.openjdk.java.net/browse/JDK-8224833>).

basically the proceedure would be as follows:

1.) build your installer first using the --temp-root <temp-root-path> and --verbose args.

2.) look for verbose output that says something like:

Using default package resource <default name> [<resource-type>]  (add <custom resource name> to the resource-dir to customize).

you can look in temp-root-path/config to find all the default resources it used, and customize them as you require

2.a) there may also be output that something like:

no default package resource  [script to run after application image is populated]  (add <app-name>-post-image.wsf to the resource-dir to customize).
Then you can add you own <app-name>-post-image.wsf  (though there will be no default script in temp-root-path/config to customize).

3.) now add --resource-dir <resource-dir> option, create <resource-dir> and put in it <custom resource name> (or as in 2.a, "<app-name>-post-image.wsf>")

4.) now run jpackage again and this time it will take the custom-resource instead of the default.

/Andy