I wonder if we should not do the same with toList(), having toList() to be equivalent to
collect(Collectors.toUnmodifiableList()) and toList(IntFunction<List<E>>)
allowing to use a null friendly List implementation like ArrayList.

If you pull on this string all the way, we end up with "let's just not do anything."

Adding conveniences only begets demands for more conveniences, and the endpoint there is a class with hundreds of trivial methods. This is why we held the line for so long.  Over that time, it emerged that the _one_ convenience method we could justify was toList(), since collect(toList()) is single most commonly used terminal op -- but only if we could justify stopping there.  Which I think we can, so we're stopping there.  (Maybe in five years we'll add another one.)