On Thu, 5 Nov 2020 14:59:56 GMT, Alan Bateman <al...@openjdk.org> wrote:

> If we are changing NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke then we should probably do
> NativeConstructorAccessorImpl.newInstance at the same time.

Yes, NativeConstructorAccessorImpl should also apply this change.

> Also wondering if we should, while in the area, add "return acc.invoke(obj,
> args)" after setting the delegate so that it invokes the newly generated
> accessor.

Agree,  I see no harm to invoke generated method when it is aviable.
Should leave this to another patch?

> Are there resource or other cases that you have observed where generateMethod
> fails and then succeeds in a subsequent call?

I have not seen exception/error happen in generate method yet.  But in case it
fails in some ways, try - catch - reset is added to make sure behavior is same
before/after with this change.

> @cl4es Do you know of any startup tests that might be sensitive to the eager
> creating of a VarHandle?
>
> I agree with @shipilev to test before the CAS.