OK, I think we can wrap up this portion of the thread.

As the proposal stands, it has add{First,Last} returning void instead of some useful value. For SortedSet and for LinkedHashMap's views, these throw UOE. Can we do better?

Collection has add(), Deque has add{First,Last} and offer{First,Last}, and BlockingDeque has put{First,Last}. I'm loathe to add new insertion methods that differ from these, either in signatures or semantics.

The BlockingDeque putX methods have blocking behavior, which only makes sense for a concurrent collection. Still, because these exist, we mustn't add putX methods elsewhere that have different semantics.

After having thought about this for a couple days, I think it's a really bad idea to reuse offerX methods. These would allow a collection to refuse the addition of an element and merely return a boolean indicating that. I can easily see people writing offerX code that doesn't check the return value, and if things shift around in their program, elements can be silently dropped. This would set a new precedent, as the present behavior is that collections can reject adding an element only by throwing an exception. Allowing refusal by returning 'false' would be a bad precedent.

So I think we're stuck with void-returning add{First,Last} methods.

Regarding throwing UOE, I think it's useful to distinguish between the LinkedHashMap views and SortedSet. Today, it's already the case that Map's view collections don't support addition, so the ReversibleX views of LinkedHashMap are similar in this regard.

SortedSet is different, as it's a top-level collection interface instead of a view collection. It's unusual for it not to support the addX operations. We explored some alternatives, such as throwing exceptions if preconditions aren't met. These seem fairly rare, and the alternative behaviors don't seem all that useful. In any case nothing emerged that was clearly better than simple UOE-throwing behavior.

OK, I think it's been useful to analyze various alternatives -- in particular I hadn't seriously considered the offerX methods -- but I'll leave the proposal as it stands regarding add{First,Last} methods.

s'marks