On Tue, 2 Nov 2021 19:14:23 GMT, Pavel Rappo <pra...@openjdk.org> wrote:

>> Pragmatically, fix the script to ignore those keywords on comment lines.
>> Learn Perl, its just a regular expression pattern match and replace
>> expression.
>>
>> All of the changes have to be manually reviewed by the author and then the
>> reviewers.
>> Checking unneeded changes is part of every mechanical change.
>>
>> The text being changed in the javadoc is the *spec*; that deserves special
>> attention in review.
>>
>> But having seen several reviewers be unmoved by the difference, the real
>> pragmatic view
>> is to ignore the English.
>
>> Pragmatically, fix the script to ignore those keywords on comment lines.
>> Learn Perl, its just a regular expression pattern match and replace
>> expression.
>
> I understand in principle how to modify that script to ignore doc comments.
> The thing I was referring to when said "btw, how would we do that?" was this:
> not all comment lines are prose. Some of those lines belong to snippets of
> code, which I guess you would also like to be properly formatted.
>
>> But having seen several reviewers be unmoved by the difference, the real
>> pragmatic view is to ignore the English.
>
> I'm sorry you feel that way. Would it be okay if I made it clear that those
> two words are not English adjectives but are special symbols that happen to
> use Latin script and originate from the English words they resemble? If so, I
> could enclose each of them in `{@code ... }`. If not, I could drop that
> particular change from this PR.

The blessed-modifier-order.sh script intentionally modifies comments, with the
hope of finding code snippets (it did!)

Probably I manually deleted the change to Object.java back in 2015, to avoid
the sort of controversy we're seeing now.
I don't have a strong feeling either way on changing that file.

I agree with @pavelrappo  that script-generated changes should not be mixed
with manual changes.
I would also not update copyright years for such changes.

It's a feature of blessed-modifier-order.sh that all existing formatting is
perfectly preserved.