On Wed, 20 Apr 2022 11:56:20 GMT, Jaikiran Pai <j...@openjdk.org> wrote:

> As for the changes to `FilterInputStream`, would this change require a CSR?

There might be a case where a subclass of `FilterInputStream` has overridden
all other methods to add `synchronized` but has not overridden `mark` and
`reset`, relying on the synchronization of the super class. I have skimmed over
subclasses in the JDK, and have found no evidence of such behavior (though I
have not looked exhaustively at all subclasses). Of course such subclasses
could exist in the wild, but that would be both odd and fragile, since
synchronization is not specified. In this particular case I don't believe that
we would need a CSR to remove a synchronized keyword: whether a method is
synchronized or not is not documented and not part of the spec:
https://download.java.net/java/early_access/jdk19/docs/api/java.base/java/io/FilterInputStream.html#mark(int)
 - and `FilterInputStream` says nothing about synchronization.

I agree with Alan that `InputStream` should be modified similarly.