On Wed, 20 Apr 2022 18:40:13 GMT, Alan Bateman <al...@openjdk.org> wrote:

> Thanks for the update. I can't think how anything could depend on this but
> unfortunately it's been like that since early JDK releases. We will need a
> release note, I'm sure Joe will give his opinion on whether a CSR should be
> created.

Hmm. It is true that the presence or absence of the "synchronized" modifier is
not part of a method's contract. However, the multi-thread safety, or not, of a
class is part of its behavioral contract.

Without a lot of investigation, my current inclination is to run a CSR for this
change for the (small) behavioral compatibility hazard.