On Wed, 15 Jun 2022 21:30:24 GMT, Maurizio Cimadamore <mcimadam...@openjdk.org>
wrote:

>> Avoid doing MH creation when initializing `StringConcatFactory` by lazily
>> initializing to a `@Stable` field instead.
>
> src/java.base/share/classes/java/lang/invoke/StringConcatFactory.java line
> 729:
>
>> 727:         MethodHandle base = PREPEND_BASE;
>> 728:         if (base == null) {
>> 729:             base = PREPEND_BASE = MethodHandles.dropArguments(
>
> I'm curious about this idiom - couldn't this result in the `PREPEND_BASE`
> field being assigned twice, with objects that are morally identical, but
> could have different identities? (thus violating `@Stable` contract)

It's not a violation, it's relying on behavior not discussed by the `@Stable`
doc, which refers to such behavior as "undefined".

It's a carefully correlated dance between the code, interpreter, and C2 relying
on:
1. safe publication of equivalent immutable structures with no dependence on
their identity when operating on them;
2. the field being set in the interpreter; and
3. by the time C2 inlines `prependBase` the field is no longer be updated, thus
C2 can replace the field access with its value.