On Mon, 4 Jul 2022 13:01:34 GMT, Jorn Vernee <jver...@openjdk.org> wrote:

> This PR updates the spec and implementation to throw an
> `IllegalArgumentException` when an attempt is made to convert a Java string
> containing null characters to a C string.
>
> Testing: local run of the `jdk_foreign` test suite.

It's tempting to allow null/0 characters to pass through, truncating the
string, given the rarity of such characters, but it could hide a nasty bug.

If performance becomes a really important issue we can make intrinsic and
vectorize.

I think it is better to refer to the characters in the String, rather than
refer to bytes of the UTF-8 encoding of that String e.g. throws if the string
contains a null character (same for the exception message). We can explain in
an API note why.

PR: https://git.openjdk.org/jdk19/pull/107