Would it be an option to not make the receiver responsible for the decision whether to make a copy or not?  Instead put this burden (using default methods) on the various collections?

If List/Set/Map had a method like this:

     List<T> immutableCopy();  // returns a (shallow) immutable copy if list is mutable (basically always copies, unless proven otherwise)

Paired with methods on Collections to prevent collections from being modified:

     Collections.immutableList(List<T>)

This wrapper is similar to `unmodifiableList` except it implements `immutableCopy` as `return this`.

Then for the various scenario's, where `x` is an untrusted source of List with unknown status:

     // Create a defensive copy; result is a private list that cannot be modified:

     List<T> y = x.immutableCopy();

     // Create a defensive copy for sharing, promising it won't ever change:

     List<T> y = Collections.immutableList(x.immutableCopy());

     // Create a defensive copy for mutating:

     List<T> y = new ArrayList<>(x);  // same as always

     // Create a mutable copy, modify it, then expose as immutable:

     List<T> y = new ArrayList<>(x);  // same as always

     y.add( <some element> );

     List<T> z = Collections.immutableList(y);

     y = null;  // we promise `z` won't change again by clearing the only path to mutating it!

The advantage would be that this information isn't part of the type system where it can easily get lost. The actual implementation knows best whether a copy must be made or not.

Of course, the immutableList wrapper can be used incorrectly and the promise here can be broken by keeping a reference to the original (mutable) list, but I think that's an acceptable trade-off.

--John

PS. Chosen names are just for illustration; there is some discussion as what "unmodifiable" vs "immutable" means in the context of collections that may contain elements that are mutable. In this post, immutable refers to shallow immutability .