This email is mostly to test the waters, I expect some hostility.

Say, as a premise, that an API for resolving external dependencies was
something that the JDK concerned itself with providing.

I think the foundation for that is there - the POM v4 format is more or
less around forever, maven style repositories aren't going anywhere, and
it's nearly impossible to write a modern application without some degree of
dependence on code that was written by other people.

What properties would folks want from such an API? What blockers would
there be (technical/social)? Any other initial thoughts?