> This PR adds a new lint warning category `this-escape`.
>
> It also adds `@SuppressWarnings` annotations as needed to the JDK itself to
> allow the JDK to continue to compile with `-Xlint:all`.
>
> A 'this' escape warning is generated for a constructor `A()` in a class `A`
> when the compiler detects that the following situation is _in theory
> possible:_
> * Some subclass `B extends A` exists, and `B` is defined in a separate source
> file (i.e., compilation unit)
> * Some constructor `B()` of `B` invokes `A()` as its superclass constructor
> * During the execution of `A()`, some non-static method of `B.foo()` could
> get invoked, perhaps indirectly
>
> In the above scenario, `B.foo()` would execute before `A()` has returned and
> before `B()` has performed any initialization. To the extent `B.foo()`
> accesses any fields of `B` - all of which are still uninitialized - it is
> likely to function incorrectly.
>
> Note, when determining if a 'this' escape is possible, the compiler makes no
> assumptions about code outside of the current compilation unit. It doesn't
> look outside of the current source file to see what might actually happen
> when a method is invoked. It does follow method and constructors within the
> current compilation unit, and applies a simplified
> union-of-all-possible-branches data flow analysis to see where 'this' could
> end up.
>
> From my review, virtually all of the warnings generated in the various JDK
> modules are valid warnings in the sense that a 'this' escape, as defined
> above, is really and truly possible. However, that doesn't imply that any
> bugs were found within the JDK - only that the possibility of a certain type
> of bug exists if certain superclass constructors are used by someone,
> somewhere, someday.
>
> For several "popular" classes, this PR also adds `@implNote`'s to the
> offending constructors so that subclass implementors are made aware of the
> threat. For one example, `TreeMap(Map)` invokes `putAll()` and `put()`.
>
> More details and a couple of motivating examples are given in an included
> [doc
> file](https://github.com/archiecobbs/jdk/blob/ThisEscape/src/java.base/share/classes/java/lang/doc-files/ThisEscape.html)
>  that these `@implNote`'s link to. See also the recent thread on `amber-dev`
> for some background.
>
> Ideally, over time the owners of the various modules would review their
> `@SuppressWarnings("this-escape")` annotations and determine which other
> constructors also warranted such an `@implNote`.
>
> Because of all the`@SuppressWarnings` annotations, this PR touches a bunch of
> different JDK modules. My apologies for that. Adding these annotations was
> determined to be the more conservative approach, as compared to just
> excepting `this-escape` from various module builds globally.
>
> **Patch Navigation Guide**
>
> * Non-trivial compiler changes:
> [...]

Archie L. Cobbs has updated the pull request incrementally with two additional
commits since the last revision:

 - Fix bug where field initializer warnings could be incorrectly suppressed.
 - Consolidate all the unit tests that generate warnings into one.

Changes:
  - all: https://git.openjdk.org/jdk/pull/11874/files
  - new: https://git.openjdk.org/jdk/pull/11874/files/ae37ff7c..0b06dc32

Webrevs:
 - full: https://webrevs.openjdk.org/?repo=jdk&pr=11874&range=09
 - incr: https://webrevs.openjdk.org/?repo=jdk&pr=11874&range=08-09

  Stats: 1454 lines in 35 files changed: 658 ins; 762 del; 34 mod
  Fetch: git fetch https://git.openjdk.org/jdk pull/11874/head:pull/11874