On Fri, 20 Jan 2023 11:10:13 GMT, Alan Bateman <al...@openjdk.org> wrote:

> > FWIW the micro is derived from the sibling `ZipFileGetEntry` micro in the
> > same directory. It's not exactly necessary for this use case to add such a
> > benchmark, but I think there's value in verifying that optimizing
> > `checkedHash` improves `ZipFile` setup and adding the micro might allow us
> > to find further opportunities down the line.
>
> I've no doubt it improves checkedHash, it's just that open the zip file and
> reading in the CEN probably dominates when not in the file system cache.

Right, the micro is a poor proxy for real-world implications since time to open
a zip file very much depends on the filesystem speed but this is sort of by
design. We have separate startup tests that tries to emulate more "cold start"
scenarios, which micros like this are complementary to and not a substitute for.