On Tue, 24 Jan 2023 12:51:31 GMT, Alan Bateman <al...@openjdk.org> wrote:

> Do you know if there is any configuration on AIX that would derive Cp943C as
> the default charset? That is, are they running with -Dfile.encoding=Cp943C on
> the AIX systems or is it chosen by default. This goes to the question as to
> whether they just moving these applications to Linux and expecting the
> default charset to be the same.

In my understanding, my client uses `-Dfile.encoding=Cp943C` option on Japanese
IBM-943 locale on AIX.
Default charset on Japanese IBM-943 locale with IBM Java8 and OpenJDK JDK11+ is
x-IBM943C(Cp943C).
(We need to use `-Dfile.encoding=Cp943C` for OpenJDK JDK8.)
We never thought we could just move to Linux because of JEP-400. But we don't
move the apps all at once to Linux.
We expected that we could change default charset by `-Dfile.encoding=Cp943C`,
at least until Java8 EOS.

> Do you know which APIs they are using? We filled in the gaps many releases
> ago so that all APIs that do encoding/decoding allow the charset to be
> specified and I'm wondering why they don't use those.

We checked String.getByte()/new
String(...)/Reader/Writer/ByteArrayOutputStream.toString()...
Is there good way to pick up which parts need to be fixed ?