On Mon, 13 Feb 2023 10:57:35 GMT, Daniel Fuchs <dfu...@openjdk.org> wrote:

>> src/java.base/share/classes/java/lang/Shutdown.java line 162:
>>
>>> 160:      * If the system logger {@code java.lang.Runtime} is enabled for
>>> logging level DEBUG/FINE
>>> 161:      * the stack trace of the call to {@code Runtime.exit()} or {@code
>>> System.exit()}
>>> 162:      * is logged.
>>
>> Shutdown is not a public class so this impNote won't appear in the APIs
>> docs. Should it move to Runtime.exit and System.exit?  If it moved to a
>> public API then "system logger" could link to System.Logger. Also would it
>> be more correct to say "a system logger named "java.lang.Runtime" is enabled
>> for logging level DEBUG"?
>
> FINE is not a level supported by the System.Logger, it is the level to which
> DEBUG is mapped when the backend is java.util.logging. I suggest to remove
> FINE from this description and add an `{@link Loger.Level#DEBUG DEBUG}`
> around DEBUG.

Roger has updated this but it's still a comment on a non-public class. I think
the main question here is whether there should be a note in the System.exit and
Runtime.exit to document that these methods log? If not, will it be documented
anywhere, maybe a troubleshooting guide to help track down what/who is calling
System.exit?